Friday, January 8, 2010

Celebrity Chefs Become “Brands”, Heat Up Cookbook Sales


The last time I perused my collection of cookbooks, I realized that 90 percent of them were written by Food Network chefs. What is it about the network and the chefs that make me purchase their cookbooks over those authored by lesser-known, yet more qualified, chefs?

The Food Network chefs have friendly and cheerful demeanors and they make me feel like I can master any recipe. I know that some of them never went to culinary school, but that just makes them less intimidating. Most importantly, because I’m familiar with the chefs, I know that I can trust them. For example, I own the entire Barefoot Contessa cookbook series by Ina Garten, my favorite host. Since I watch all of her shows, I know that I love the dishes she prepares and that she simplifies each step as much as possible. Ina Garten’s show on the network has made her into a beloved “brand” to whom millions of home chefs have an emotional connection. Her show provides a venue to constantly promote her products, unlike most cookbook authors. I trust the Ina Garten, Bobby Flay, Giada de Laurentiis brands because I know more about their products than some author I’ve never heard of. Plus, if a particular step is confusing, I can go to the Food Network Web site to replay an episode, rather than risk ruining a meal.


Even though some criticize the concept of televised cooking shows, saying that they’re intimidating and unrealistic, I always learn new cooking techniques and feel inspired to try a variety of recipes. I’m just one of the millions of Food Network fans who share this sentiment; the network “commands more viewers than any of the cable news channels“. The allure of celebrity chefs was noted in The San Francisco Chronicle, which listed “celebrity chefs” 6th among the 10 top trends in dining from the last decade, saying that chefs are “increasingly defined by their television appearances”. So, much like trusting a well-known brand in my supermarket, I rely on the Food Network brand of chefs to ensure my meals come off without a hitch.


No comments: