Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Don't Get Caught with Your Pants Down When the Whole World is Watching

Currently, there is so much buzz about what people and organizations are doing when confronted by a crisis.

While every crisis is different, there are some fundamental principles that should serve as a reference on how to get started resolving the challenge. And, while at this point in my career as crisis communications counsel these principles are burned in my mind, I still immediately turn to my list the moment I get a call for help. This was the subject of my agency’s very first blog post, more than a year ago, but with all the year-end interest in this topic, I will repeat it as a guideline for all the new friends I have made on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.


We call it a “pantchek” as a memorable acronym
, because we believe it is important not to get caught “with your pants down” once all eyes are turned your way.

Public welfare is first priority

All bad news out at once/Assemble the facts

No blame, no speculation, do not repeat the charges

Tell your side of the story/Take responsibility

Care and concern

High-level organization spokesperson

Ensure that it will not happen again

Keep separate plan for moving ahead


I believe these fundamentals are a good complement to the interview I did with Bulldog Reporter that was posted today.


No comments: