Wednesday, December 16, 2009

You are What You Collect

I collect PR Blunders…that is, I capture them throughout the year as they occur for my year end Top 10 PR Blunders List.

But I collect so many other things as I zoom through this life. Is this more male behavior than female? I used to think so, but apparently I’m not the only one in the office who likes to collect “stuff.” Come to find out, female members of my staff have diverse collections themselves.

So, for example, I collect state quarters, silver dollars, wines, scotches, rye whiskeys, t-shirts, pens, tunes for my IPOD, books, baseball caps, white dress shirts, S.F. Giants memorabilia, and shampoos, for crying out loud. My wife insists I collect men’s suits and shoes, but I don’t want to go there for now :).

Obviously, it is all part of my personality and what makes me, me, but it is also a part of my understanding of public relations marketing. It is part of how I view brands and how I understand the values that each of these “things” impart. It is part of how I define “Brand PR.”

More to come on each of these idiosyncratic material categories. As I develop this topic, I hope readers will jump in with their own thoughts.

No comments: