Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why I’m Hard on You

I chuckle when I think back to the hundreds – if not thousands – of exasperated looks, sighs, blank stares or simply good, old fashioned push back I’ve received during my years as an agency executive in the PR business. My teammates, specifically those of whom I have had the responsibility of overseeing, have huddled to discuss how my goal in life is to make their lives miserable, that I’m too nitpicky or hard core. What’s been interesting about this whole process, though, is the number of phone calls and/or emails I’ve received after the fact when these colleagues have developed more in their careers, perhaps becoming supervisors in their own right, and gained insight into what it really takes to produce excellent products. I’ll deem that Hindsight 20-20.

After moving onward, upward or out and back again into positions with more responsibility, they have become the “bad guys”, “minutiae queens” and more. Many of them later called to thank me for pushing them and some have even apologized for their often resistant behavior.

Maybe I can save a few of you rising stars the conflict, heartburn or frustration of butting heads with a manager who only wants the best for the organization and for your development as a professional. Here’s a little about why I push those in my charge.

I know you’re capable of excellence, even if you’re not so sure – I push you because I recognize your potential. Nine times out of 10, you’ll rise to the occasion. Even it is a painful process, you’ve learned something and you’ve grown.

You won’t learn a thing if I’m doing your work – You also won’t earn any points if your manager always has to fix/re-do your work. Be thorough, think things through, proof your work, show you care.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch – Hard work, ingenuity, efficiency and creativity will get you far. Cruising will not.

Take ownership, especially if you’ve made a mistake – It takes more guts to admit you are wrong than to pass the blame. Any manager worth their salt will admire your courage. You’ll lose respect if you constantly make excuses or pass the buck.

Show me you’re a keeper – Show value, manage up, help me, and I’ll help you.

Don’t be a clock watcher – I have a life too. But I don’t dash out the door at the stroke of 5 if my work isn’t done.

Keep your word – Do what you say and say what you do. If I can count on you to deliver - without constantly being reminded - I’ll come to you with better and bigger projects, and I’ll be able to recommend you for promotions and raises.

Use your head – I admire someone who can come to me with an idea or solution. It may not be used every time, but it shows me you’re thinking and that you care about what you’re doing. Just doing what you’re told won’t get you far.

I’ve got your back, but I expect you to have mine – Loyalty is a two way street.

No comments: