Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Making the Move from Technology to Consumer PR

After graduating from college on the East Coast, I made the choice to move out West and work in public relations. San Francisco seemed like the perfect city for what I wanted to do. My first PR job introduced me to the world of tech PR as I found myself in the high-tech epicenter of the world.

Over the years I worked for a variety of different tech agencies that mostly represented small companies trying to get their foot in the door with technology products that were often times already out there. I mean, who is really going to go up against the Googles or MacAfees of the world? That market is cornered. It’s like a newcomer going up against Steve Jobs or Bill Gates: they may get close, but they will never catch up. And the real kicker is, all these companies really want is to be bought by a MacAfee or Google and then fire the PR agency!

So, as the tech market softened and work became more scarce (nine years later) I found myself in the position of deciding whether to stay in high-tech or move to a more consumer-focused agency. This uncertainty ultimately led me to consumer/lifestyle PR where creativity is key! Coming from a tech world, PR had become a formula to me. After working at Fineman PR for about a month now, PR is fun again—just as it was when I first cut my teeth in the biz! Don’t get me wrong, I love tech PR but my new position at Fineman has truly opened my eyes to a very different and exciting world of PR. The accounts vary from large restaurants to major food brands to healthcare districts.

With so much diversity, every day is different. Every pitch is unique and (almost) every event is exciting. Press calls are no longer called briefings, but interviews. The clients are not eager to be bought, radio and broadcast media are actually interested in speaking with you, the national press is interested in traveling to come see you, and you occasionally work with celebrities. Planning events became fun again because instead of planning tech trade shows, we are planning ribbon cutting ceremonies. Instead of reaching out to eWeek or Network World we are pitching Time and Fitness. Instead of being forced to read InfoWorld, your knowledge of what’s in People magazine becomes relevant. The passion that initially got you interested in public relations becomes awakened again and it’s exciting to be going to work!

So, if you’re considering a switch from technology PR to consumer PR, I say go for it! It’s a refreshing change and one that provides you with an opportunity to see just how creative you really are.

No comments: